Z has been learning about units of weight and measurements in school and has has been keen to put what he has learned into practice at home with the girls.
I gave them the kitchen scales and various things to weigh, Z designed his own table to record the weights.
Things to do:
- Ask the children to find things of a certain weight, for example we spent a long time looking for something which weighed 1 kg.
- Try to estimate how many grams something is before weighing it and see how close you were. Can you record your predictions and actual measurements in a table?
- Try to find things that weigh about the same.
- Can you measure each other’s heights? Is this hard to do? What would make it easier?
- Can you make your own metre ruler?
- How about using DUPLO bricks or your hands to see how tall you are?