Today we have an investigation for little astronomers to demonstrate how our Universe is expanding.
Did you know we are part of a spiral galaxy called the Milky Way? We are located in an arm of the spiral. There are thought to be 100 billion galaxies in the universe. It’s hard to imagine just how vast the universe is.
This is a very simple experiment to demonstrate how the universe is constantly expanding.
What you need:
a ballon balloon
- Blow up the balloon so its about the size of an orange.
- Clip it with a balloon clip.
- Draw dots on the balloon with a permanent marker, these represent the the milky way galaxy.
- Remove the clip and keep blowing up the balloon.
- What happens to the dots?
The science bit
The balloon is a model of the universe which is constantly stretching outwards. The balloon shows how the Milky Way is drifting apart.
This activity has been taken from the Space Exploration kit from Science Shop, which we reviewed here. The kit is full of fun and educational investigations, such as making a telescope, making flour craters and showing why we have night and day.