“Little Miss Muffet Sat on her Tuffet Eating her Curds and Whey”
But what are curds? This experiment turns milk into a solid which sets hard when left to dry.
How to make Curds and Whey for Little Miss Muffet
Microwave-proof bowl or a pan and hob
- Add four teaspoons of white vinegar to one and a half cups of skimmed milk.
- Microwave the mixture for about a minute or heat on the hob/stove.
- After a minute, the milk and vinegar will separate into a liquid (the whey) and a solid (the curd).
- Strain the liquid and squeeze curds into one big lump. Squeeze out all the leftover liquid.
Remember to ask an adult to help.
- Allow the curds to cool and then mould into a shape.
- Leave the curd shape to harden. We call this plastic milk, but it’s not really plastic!
What are Curds and Whey?
The vinegar creates a chemical reaction which makes the milk separate into two parts, a solid (the curds) and a liquid (the whey.)The protein in the curds is what makes it act like rubber.
Last Updated on February 15, 2023 by Emma Vanstone