Have you ever looked at your fingerprints? How would you expect them to compare to the fingerprints of friends and family?
Fingerprints are a unique form of identification as the arrangement of ridges and patterns differs for everyone!
You only need an ink pad and paper for this easy fingerprint activity.
What you need
- A washable ink pad
- White paper or card
- Press your finger down carefully onto the ink pad. Make sure the finger is covered in ink.
- Press down hard on the sheet of white paper or card.
- Write down which finger the print is for.
Fingerprint Investigation ideas
- Compare fingerprints with family and friends.
- Expand your fingerprints using a balloon to see them on a large scale.
Look for lines, creases and circles. Do any family members have similar fingerprints?
Make a chart of eye and hair colour for people in your family or a group of friends. Are they the same or different?
Some characteristics run in families, but fingerprints are defintiely unique!
What are fingerprints?
Fingerprints are tiny ridges and patterns on the tip of the finger and thumbs.
Fingerprints are a form of biometrics, a science that uses physical characteristics to identify people.
What shapes can you see in your fingerprints?
More fingerprint activity ideas
Find out if identical twins have identical fingerprints
Expand your fingerprints on a balloon.
Last Updated on September 13, 2023 by Emma Vanstone