‘Thank crunchie it’s Friday’ seems the perfect phrase for today’s experiment as it involves learning how to make honeycomb.
How to make honeycomb
You will need:
100g of sugar
1 table of water
2 table spoons of golden syrup
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
1. Put of the ingredients except the bicarbonate of soda into a saucepan and place on a low heat
2. Line a baking tray with silver foil.
3. Stir until all the sugar has dissolved. Raise the heat slightly so that it bubbles, and stir occasionally until you cannot feel any sugar at the bottom of the pan.
4. Take off the heat.
5. Add bicarbonate of soda and stir!
5. Watch what happens – it should all froth up with bubbles in the pan
6. Pour out into your baking tray (and dunk your pan straight into hot soapy water!)
7. Allow to cool. When solid smash into tasty treats – lovely crumbled as a topping on top of vanilla ice cream!
The science bit
The bicarbonate of soda breaks down with heat to release carbon dioxide gas. The gas causes the sugar and syrup mixture froth and bubble. The bubbles become trapped in the mixture and set there!