This is a nice and simple experiment, but oobleck is quite messy, so I’d recommend doing it outside.
What you need
- A big bowl
- food colouring (optional )
What to do
- Fill a cup with cornflour and add to the bowl
- Add water very slowly mixing with your hands all the time, until you get a sticky, slimy goo.
- If you want to make it coloured add some food colouring, be careful this can stain skin and clothes.
- Play with the slime and see how it behaves. Can you make it into a ball? and what happens if you throw it onto the floor?
The Science Bit
Did you notice that if you make a ball with the slime it is solid, but if you drop it on the floor it turns liquid again? The slime is a non – Newtonian fluid as it doesn’t flow like liquids normally do.
The slime is made up of molecules arranged in long chains. When the chains are stretched the liquid will flow, but when you force them together they stick together to form a solid.