This week we are making an Avocado Pit. It’s going to take a few weeks so bear with us
My 4 year old thought he could plant a stick and it would turn into a tree if he watered it, so I thought this would introduce him to the concept of a root.
- Cut the avocado carefully, trying not to injure the stone ( pit )
- Wash the pit, to remove the flesh, but do not remove the brown outer covering, this is the seed cover.
- Stick 4 toothpicks into the pit to a depth of about 5mm.
- Fill a glass jar with water, and place the pit on top, balanced with the toothpicks. It should be half covered with water with the pointed end up. Leave it on a window sill or somewhere it will get lots of light.
- Change the water every 2 days, this is to stop mold and contaminants damaging the roots. Make sure you keep the base submerged in water.
- Wait and watch, the brown outer layer should wrinkle and come off and the pit should start to split and a root come out of the bottom.
Further instructions and the science behind it to to follow!
How to grow an avocado tree