This is a special device you can make that makes eerie sounds like a creaking door or creaking steps!
Perfect if you’re having a Halloween party or sleepover and want to spook your friends. You could simulate a haunted house!
You will need the following:
A plastic cup
Thick tissue or paper towel.
A nail or a little screwdriver
1. Place the blue tack on top of the cup and stick it to the table
2. Using the screwdriver put a hole through the centre of the cup from the inside – the blue tack just acts as a cushion, so you don’t put a hole in your dining table!
3. Cut about 40cm of wool
4. Tie a knot around the centre of the paper clip of the longest side.
5. Thread the other end through the top of the cup and pull so that the paper clip is at the top, with the wool hanging through.
6. Cut a piece of paper towel to the size of a £5 note and wet it in water
7. Fold this round the string at the top of the cup and pull it down! (See the video clip) A pocket tissue also works well.
8. You can also make a silly chicken noise it you check out the video!
The Science bit
The cup acts like a soundboard. If you rubbed the towel down the string without it, you would not hear any sound, but the cup amplifies the vibrations created by the movement, and you get the sound!
Last Updated on January 24, 2023 by Emma Vanstone