Z has been learning about units of weight and measurements in school and has been keen to put what he has learned into practice at home with the girls with this fun weighing and measuring activity.
I gave them the kitchen scales and various things to weigh, and Z designed his own table to record the weights.
Things to do:
- Ask the children to find things of a certain weight. For example, we spent a long time looking for something which weighed 1 kg.
- Ask children to estimate how many grams something is before weighing it and find out how close they are.
- Record your predictions and actual measurements in a table.
- Try to find things that weigh about the same.
- Ask children to measure each other to see how tall they are.
- Make a metre ruler.
- Ask children to DUPLO bricks or another stackable item to find out how tall they are.
Last Updated on June 23, 2023 by Emma Vanstone